- This event has passed.
Fika Politica: The Protests for Women’s Rights in Iran
Thursday, November 24th, 2022. 17:00 - 19:00
Iranians have been protesting in the streets since the death in custody on 16th September of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman who was arrested by morality police for the crime of failing to cover every last strand of her hair. In large street demonstrations, which have been happening in all of Iran’s major cities and many small towns, women have burnt their hijabs, often dancing at the same time, while others have cut off their hair. Strikes have been reported in schools, universities and the country’s vital oil sector. Violent clashes have at times broken out, with protestors torching buildings of the security forces. The regime has responded with extreme repression and violence, where hundreds of people have been killed. The protests have been a long way coming, with the iranian people feeling frustration over the dress code and economic collapse during the latest years, and the death of Mahsa Amini was the last drop for the iranian
people. The protests have now been going on for 8 weeks but unlike previous protest movements in Iran the momentum of this uprising doesn’t appear to be diminishing.
During this session we will discuss:
- The context behind the protest.
- What caused it and what it has lead to?
- What is the possible future of the protest and the Iranian regime?
- Should western and outside nations do something?
- The event is free and open to everyone. You have to sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLp_C6Gi4iYOB7Ta-W0SHp3osaWgQS9ugXIFy1SxkaiHOy8w/viewform
- Membership is free and you can sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/izA8HQGK31alrYgY2
- The room will be open for casual chatting. The event will start at 17:00. Welcome to join us earlier and meet new friends!
- There will be fika!